I will be using my mannequin here, please note that my doll's hair is quite thin so you will see patches of baldness on the scalp. Moreover, since her hair is dark brown / black, and it's absorbing the light, it will not photograph as well as blonds.
1) Always start off by curling your hair. I do on clients but since my doll isn't going anywhere but the closet, I didn't bother.
Use a 1/2 inch curling iron or better yet, especially for this Chignon updo style, use a hair crimper on the ends if you have it.
2) Section off your hair.
3) Tease the roots on the crown area.
For this look, since it is a dressier updo , which is great with evening gowns, weddings and big events, you can tease it WAY high.
4) Pin down all the hair below your ears, close to your nape. You want them firmly secured down so that it doesn't move. Feel free to use as many pins here as you want.
5) Grab all the hair in the back and create 2 sections, then tease the ends of the two bundles.
This is why I said a hair crimper would have been better for this Chignon hairstyle, it makes this part easier. You want to tease all the ends, then smooth down the "under side" using a hairspray and slowly and neatly roll it towards the scalp like an egg roll. Bobbi pin them to the head.
6) Do this on both sides.
7) Your chignon should look something like this, don't worry about the pins that are still showing, we're going to cover that up with the braid. After you've securely pinned them down, you're going to start french braiding the sides to the back.
8) As you're french braiding it to the back of your head, start loosening and fluffing the braids (because it's more attractive than tight braids).
9) Pin it to the back and over the bobbie pins that were showing before. Do this on both sides.
On my doll, I chosed to go with a side part.
Tuck in all the loose hair or curl them into the center.
And here is the final look. I need to stop taking photo's at night, my pics are all coming out pretty crappy because of the flash ....
My personal holy grail Hairspray -- find other hair tutorials and beauty info on my main site.
Learn how to do this Hairstyle with Braid updo.Learn how to do this Cute Boho French Braid with Waterfall Braided bangs.
Thank you so much for reading this hair tutorial, please don't forget to subscribe for more future hair guides! :)
Take care! xoxo - Tina