The most requested and popular wedding hairstyle updo is the classic, chic Chignon Coiffure bun, so I thought for this week’s hair tutorial, I would show you how you can make a modern side Chignon updo hairstyle bun (low Sock bun) on long to medium hair at home to wear to any formal occasion without spending a fortune at the hair salon.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page to watch my YouTube Chignon Coiffure Bun Hair Tutorial video instead?…
As always, doing updo hairstyle is easier on wavy hair, so curl your hair using a 1/2 inch curling iron if you have pin straight, or very slippery, heathy hair (Asian). I used my trusty Cortex Curling Iron on my own hair. 🙂
- Tie the bottom half of your hair.
- Hair spray your hair to clean up the flyaways/baby hair.
- Tease the heck out of the pony tail.
- Smooth down the top layers with a brush.
- Gently roll down the hair and pin it to the low nape area.
Get organized: clip away the wispy hairs you want to leave out of your Chignon updo.
I part my bangs on the right side, so if this is how you part yours, follow this tutorial – if you part it on the left side, do the opposite.
- Tease the heck out of your Crown area so that there is something for your bobby pins to grab onto.
- Smooth down the RIGHT side
- Hair spray
- Pin it to the back, right above where you made that small Chignon in step 2.
- Tease then smooth down the hair on the Crown .
- Bobby pin the Crown hair to the top of your head. Pull up and puff up to create volume.
- Smooth down the Left side
- Now, grab the Crown Bundle and the Left Bundle and twist these 2 bundles together – twice. Doing this should have given you some interesting effect to your Chignon Hairstyle Coiffure Updo and should have covered up the bobby pins.
- Clip the Crown bundle again to the top.
- Now, pin the Left bundle down.
- Tease the hair hanging down on your Right side
- Smooth down the top layers, and roll down to create a small Chignon bun – sock bun.
- Pin it down.
Do the same for the hair on the Left side.
Hairspray down all the flyaways.
And you’re done, here is your easy, side Chignon bun updo (low sock bun)! 🙂
Thank you for reading! Don’t forget to subscribe for more weekly hair tutorials! Take care! <3
(¯`’★♫♪•♥ HAIR PRODUCTS USED ♥ •♫♪★’´¯)
- Cortex 4 in 1 Curling Iron
- Sebastian Shaper Plus Hair Spray
- Heat Protectant on WET hair: Bamboo Smooth Kendi Oil Dry Oil
- Finish Oil – CHI Enviro Smoothing Serum (hard to find @stores)
- Lots and lots of Bobby pins – (I actually ran out of black ones during this hair tutorial lol)
- Foundation: Cinema Secrets Shade# PS302 & dark shade PS202S
- NYX Cream , Tea Rose
- Eyeshadows: Urban Decay – Acid Rain (inner corner)
- Stila Eyeshadow Pallet – The purple shade
- Urban Decay The Black Palette (Outer V – matte black)
- Wet n Wild Color Icon Eyeshadow Collection 738 Comfort Zone
- Eyebrows – Stila Duo Brow shadow in Dark (discontinued!)
- Contour – BenNye DC-01 Contour 1 (pain to find but the best contour shade)
- Lip liner: Too Faced Perfect Nude
- Lipstick: Urban Decay Lovechild http://tryth.at/atxpp
- Face Powder: BenNye Lux Powder in Banana
- Concealer: Korres CRC2
- Eyes: Gel Liner: Stila Smudge Pot
- Tight line and water line: Urban Decay 24/7 Perversion and Underground
- Highlight: Stila Kitten Smudge Pot
- Lashes: Ardell Demi Wispies
- Brow bone color: Mac – Cream base Luna