This week, instead of boring you with another French braided, Elsa hair tutorial, I’m going to show you how to do Elsa’s big, voluminous braid, using another braiding method. They do look quite similar, it’s an Elsa hair tutorial after all.
( Scroll down to the bottom for the Elsa hair tutorial video. )
This glamorous, braided hairstyle is just perfect for a formal occasion like a wedding or the prom. It’s youthful, feminine, and flattering.
Queen Elsa from the Disney’s movie, Frozen had 2 main hairstyles. One an updo that she wore to her coronation, and the other, a voluminous French braid.
Today, I’m going to show you how to do the braided, Elsa hair with a voluminous French fishtail braid. I’ve also incorporated some of that, Brigitte Bardot sexiness into the mix.
Elsa Hair Tutorial | Voluminous Braids
- Section out your bangs, about 4 fingers wide, and clip it out of the way.
- Apply hair powder, to assist with teasing, and rub it into the hair. Watch my previous Brigitte Bardot hair tutorial to see how to tease your hair properly.
- Tease all of your crown, some sides, and back of your head ( down to the top of your ears). Taking small sections will give you more volume.
- Use hairspray to set the teasing.
- Attach hairextensions (optional).
- Smooth out the top layer with a brush. Do NOT remove all of your teasing, this is important!
- Gather your hair into a half-updo and tie it with an elastic band.
- Make an opening under your elastic band with your hand to create a pouch for your hair padding. Normally, when you do this on other people’s hair, it’s easier to attach the pad fist before making the half-up.
- Insert the hair padding into the pouch.
- Push the half-up upwards while twisting it once to create more volume. Then use a hair pin to secure it in place.
- Unclip your bangs and make a part.
- Take a section of hair from the front on each side, and cross them over. In this Elsa hair tutorial, I cross the LEFT strand over RIGHT.
- Start a French Fishtail plait. How to French fishtail braid; simply alternate grabbing sections from left and right, and cross them over. IE; when you take hair from the LEF side, you cross it to the RIGHT strand, and when you take hair from the RIGHT, you cross it over to the LEFT strand. Make sure you don’t add in the hair above the ears until your braid is at middle of your ears to create that retro, Brigitte Bardot hairstyle effect.
- Finish the braid with a normal Fishtail Braid and tie it with an elastic band. (Here is a fishtail braid tutorial where I show you 2 ways to do it.)
- Pull out the sides of the Fishtail braid to make them big and voluminous.
- Cut out the elastic band and remove the hair pin used earlier. Move the half-up down to blend the braid & half-up.
- Repin the half-up. The hairstyle should look seamless, like one beautiful, braided hairstyle.
Hair Powder (best part is that it’s usually less than $5)
SexyHair Dry Wax – On the ends, because it’s sexy for braids!
Eva NYC Texture Spray – creates “weightless” matte texture (my favorite product from Eva NYC)
My current fav hair extensions:
DISCOUNT CODE: MakeupWearables
If the video doesn’t play, watch it on my YouTube page by clicking, Elsa Hair Tutorial.
Did you subscribe to be notified of new hair tutorials?
Thanks for watching! xo Tina
Yes, I have the normal Elsa Braid Tutorial, right here! Let me know which way you’d wear it. 😀
And before you ask, here is the Elsa’s coronation updo tutorial. 🙂
Seen this cute braid tutorial?