Are you Disney’s Frozen hairstyle obsessed like the rest of us? And have been searching for Elsa’s coronation updo tutorials since watching that movie? Last week, Elsa’s voluminous braid tutorial became a huge hit, and so many of you requested that I do her coronation updo next, so in this hair tutorial video, I’m going to show you how to create Elsa’s fabulously elegant, big French twisted bun.
I moved the bun slightly lower on the head to be more flattering for every head shape and age group.
( Written Instructions )
How To Do The Elsa’s Coronation Updo On Yourself
(the romantic version for prom or a wedding)
- Apply hair powder to help with teasing.
- Section out your hair from middle of your ears down and make a low ponytail. This will become our anchor for our bun.
- Section out your bangs if you have them
- Now, tease EVERYWHERE. The crown, the sides of your hair, and pay a close attention to the roots.
- Make a side part (I know Elsa’s coronation updo didn’t have a part so just pretend for now).
- Attach hair extensions. (optional)
- Make a diagonal part from eyebrows up on the “light side” (the side with less hair) and clip it on your bang area. This section will be included in the French Twist, effectively removing the demarcation of the “side part” that you made earlier.
- Attach 2 hair paddings on the back of your head.
- Use a dry hair wax all over the hair to create that dirty hair effect.
- Tilt your head towards the “heavy-side” of your part, and comb your hair smoothly to one side before securing your hair with strong bobby pins. It’s IMPORTANT that you do this part right! Use as many bobby pins as you need. Make sure the hair DOES NOT MOVE!
- Starting from your side part start “rolling” your hair away from your face, gradually adding in bigger and chunkier sections as you go. Do not take small sections, this will make it harder to do, and it won’t even look like a French twist at the end. Elsa’s Coronation Updo had that classic French twist roll on the side of the head. (watch the video)
- Incorporate your French twist with the that ponytail you made earlier, and tie it with an elastic band.
- Pin down your French twist. if possible over the big bobby pins that we used earlier. Any bobby pins that ARE visible should be removed. ( this part was removed from the tutorial video, because my camera decided to shut down while my back was turned).
- Split your ponytail into 2 sections.
- Twist 1 section, clockwise, and wrap it clockwise to create a low bun. Secure it with hair pins.
- Twist the 2nd section, COUNTERCLOCKWISE, and wrap it counterclockwise around the bun.
- Secure the bun with more hair pins, and you’re done!
Nails – Essie – Lilacism
Favorite hair extensions:
DISCOUNT CODE: MakeupWearables
Did you subscribe to be notified of new cute hair tutorials? xo
Seen Frozen Elsa’s Braid Tutorial?